Last Updated on October 29, 2019 by Sophie Nadeau
As the weather gets colder and the nights draw in, more and more time is spent indoors. What could be better than bringing a splash of colour into the home with an autumnal floral arrangement? The vibrant orange hues of a pumpkin make it the perfect container for creating a quick and striking Autumn flower arrangement, perhaps placed on a hallway table or even the centrepiece of your dining table.
How to create the perfect Pumpkin floral arrangement!
1. Slice the top off the pumpkin and then scoop out the flesh and seeds; and either discard or turn into a tasty pumpkin pie!
2. Line the hollowed out pumpkin with cellophane paper, or a plastic/glass container that is small enough to be placed within. This step is important for two reasons: (a) it stops the pumpkin going soggy and (b) by lining the hollowed out pumpkin, which is a fruit, it helps to protect the flowers from the ethylene* gas that is released.
*all fruit produces ethylene which causes flowers to wilt more rapidly than they would normally do so.
3. Place the oasis into the lined pumpkin and slice along the edges to create more surface area for your stems.
4. Your pumpkin is now ready to be filled with flowers of your choice. Literally anything goes and if you fancy it just spray the pumpkin, perhaps silver or gold, to create a totally different look.
5. Start with the greenery or other framework and then add other flowers. If doing a floral centrepiece turn the pumpkin as you go making sure that your display looks good from every side. The framework for this arrangement is Viburnum opulus and Eryngium eburneum which together create a strong architectural background.
6. Once you have your basic shape start adding colour and have fun! This particular arrangement used African orange Protea, orange Alstroemeria and sprayed Oak leaves.
Just by changing one element of the arrangement you can create a totally different feel. In this instance the orange alstroemeria was exchanged for white and as you can see the overall effect is much more mellow.